This is a favourite of mine from womens weekly, so easy and quick and definitely passes the finger licking test.
What you need:
- 2 sheets ready rolled puff pastry
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- 1/4 cup custard powder
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 30g butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/4 cup thickened cream
- 1 1/12 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp soft butter
- 1/4 cup passionfruit pulp
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Grease deep 23cm-square cake pan; line with foil, extending foil 10cm over sides of pan.
- Place each pastry sheet on separate greased oven trays. Bake about 15 minutes ; cool. Flatten pastry with hand; place one sheet in pan, trim to fit if necessary.
- Meanwhile, combine sugar, cornflour and custard powder in medium saucepan, gradually add milk, stirring until smooth. Add butter, stir over heat until mixture boils and thickens. Simmer, stirring, about 3 minutes or until custard is thick and smooth. Remove from heat, stir in egg yolk and extract. Cover surface of custard with plastic wrap; cool to room temperature.
- Make passionfruit icing.
- Whip cream until firm peaks form. Fold cream into custard, in two batches. Spread custard mixture over pastry in pan. Top with remaining pastry, trim to fit if necessary; press down slightly. Spread pastry with icing; refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
Passionfruit Icing: Place sifted icing sugar, butter and pulp in small heatproof bowl over small saucepan of simmering water, stir until icing is spreadable.
Tip: If your in a rush and don’t want to turn on the oven, sayos are a great replacement for the puff pastry.
The images above are simply for inspiration sourced from pinterest.