My husband loves coffee and cake, so what better way to please him than by making a coffee flavoured cake and this one from Margaret Fulton definitely hits the spot.
What you need:
- 125g butter
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp instant coffee powder
- a pinch of salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- flaked almonds to decorate
- 185g butter
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tsp instant coffee powder, dissolved in 1tsp hot water
What you do:
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees celsius. Grease two 18 cm sandwich tins and line the bases with baking paper.
- To make the cake, cream the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Sift together the flour, coffee and salt into the creamed mixture alternately with the eggs. Stir in the ground almonds. Divide the mixture evenly between the prepared tins.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Turn out and cool on a wire rack.
Frosting: Cream the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy, than beat in the coffee. Use the frosting to sandwich the cake layers together and to cover the top and side. Press the flaked almonds lightly into the top and side to decorate.