The star of this luscious recipe from women’s weekly is definitely the coconut ice frosting. This is a really simple recipe with spectacularly delicious results, perfect as a centre piece for any high tea.
What you need:
- 125g butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp coconut essence
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 1/14 cups sour cream
- 1/3 cup milk
coconut ice frosting
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 1/3 cups desiccated coconut
- 2 egg whites, beaten lightly
- pink food colouring
What you do
- Preheat oven to 180˚C. Grease deep 23cm square cake pan; line with baking paper.
- Beat butter, essence and sugar in bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in coconut, sifted flour, sour cream and milk, in two batches.
- Spread mixture into pan; bake about 40 minutes. Stand cake 5 minutes; turn, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, make coconut ice frosting. Drop alternate spoonfuls of white and pink frosting onto cake; marble over top of cake.
- Coconut ice frosting: Sift icing sugar into medium bowl; stir in coconut and egg white. Place half the mixture in small bowl, tint with pink food colouring.
This cake can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week.